Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Nationals Splash Cash Again!

The Washington Nationals in their continuing Bizarro Offseason, have made another key pickup guaranteed not to really help the cause. 

Only slightly odder than the Jayson Werth signing was the news today that they had acquired RHP Owen Wilson from the unaffiliated Hollywood Stars of the Thursday Night Santa Monica Airport League. 

The terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Wilson, when reached for comment, said, "I wasn't like every other kid, you know, who dreams about being an astronaut, I was always more interested in what bark was made out of on a tree. Richard Gere's a real hero of mine. Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that. I care desperately about what I do. Do I know what product I'm selling? No. Do I know what I'm doing today? No. But I'm here, and I'm gonna give it my best shot." (From Zoolander, people)

The simple facts are these.  Jayson Werth may be an upgrade in baseball terms but can't put asses in the seats.  Wilson is the opposite.  And Washington will still manage to lose 90+ games again this year.  Worth noting, the franchise's best finish since relocating from Montreal is an 83-79 finish, finishing only 19 games back in the division.  Let's just say that it's hard to do worse than that.  So let's see how the Wilson thing plays out before we pass judgement.  It's not like the Werth thing, which is an unmitigated disaster and the guy hasn't even played a game yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment